Remote Bank Account Opening As Part of Your Company Formation.
Once you have started your company in Ireland, opening a bank account is usually one of your next steps, but it needs to be completed in a correct order in association with your incorporation and compliance. Here you will discover the best business bank account for startups in Ireland.
Its critical to have a high quality company formation with all procedures checked so the bank account opening goes smoothly. Its our job to ensure that your company is positioned well to approach the bank without you tripping up in the process of opening a bank account in Ireland. We are happy to discuss your options with you on the phone prior to incorporation.
The Banks will do due diligence on your company to ensure its ready for the application and that’s where we come in. We ensure that your filings post incorporation are complete.
Looking for Banking Options?
Must I have a Bank Account in Ireland?
No. There is no requirement stating that you must have a bank account in Ireland. This opens up many options for banking both within Ireland using online banks for Non-Resident Directors, and also banking abroad for your Irish Company.
You may have already set up banking abroad for other companies, talk to your banking partners about a Euro bank account for your newly incorporated Irish Company. We will ensure a high-quality incorporation and constitution of your company, positioning you well for this.
What to consider when looking for the best business bank account for startups in Ireland.
What is the online facility like?
Banking online has become very popular in the last 15 years. Main stream banks have caught up with very good online facilities. Ask if you can see the online facility before you sign up online. This is a facility you will be using every day or every other day and you should be able to navigate your way around it easily.
How do the banking fees work?
A common question especially for startups is what the fees are like? If you know your projected income and its volume online then you may be able to predict the fee structure cost with the bank. Many traditional banks offer no fees within the start up period. Online banks tend to have more simple easier to understand fee structure for banking fees.
Is the application combersome?
The process for applying for a bank account generally is more streamlined with online banks. Ask how long the process generally takes. Many banks have a online chat facility where you can get many questions answered about the bank account opening process.
Is there a banking app for multiple platforms?
All the banks listed on this page have an app for personal banking but some are more user friendly than others. Some do not have an app for corporate banking which means banking on the go is a little more cumbersome.
Does the Bank support startups?
Talk to your proposed bank about supports for startups. Many of the banks support start up companies with free bank accounts for a period. Ask them about this. What supports are there for fledgling businesses?
Are there credit facilities?
What credit facilities are there within the bank? Many traditional banks will have more credit facilities than online banks, but online banks like Revolut can assist you with overdrafts, and lines of credit.
Can I bank from Abroad?
Yes you can. There are options to apply for accounts from abroad, and also use a bank account outside Ireland.
Do Ulster Bank have a Presence in Ireland?
No. Ulster Bank who were part of Nat West Group UK left the Irish Market Place in 2023 after a prolonged wind down period. If you are based in the UK and you have relationships with Nat West you can talk to them about the opportunity of a Euro account for your newly incorporated Irish Company.
Need Help Setting Up Your Company?
What kind of Bank accounts are available?
Current Accounts: For everyday banking facilities. This is used for every day banking for companies and generally the account is linked to the Limited company. If you incorporate you should not use a personal account for your trade. Current Bank accounts are also used for personal banking.
Savings Accounts: For personal banking and corporate accounts savings accounts are devided up into Regular savings, Fixed term savings, and online savings accounts.
Business Start-Up Accounts: Many banking services will be free and the bank will provide supports and in some cases a full financial review.
Merchant Services Accounts: These process funds through an online platform and deposit them to your bank account. They are officered by some banks but can also be engaged online through portals like u003ca href=u0022http://www.Stripe.comu0022 target=u0022_blanku0022 rel=u0022noopeneru0022u003eStripe. u003c/au003e
What Our Customers Are Saying
7467 Registered Users Trust Our Process Since 2009
What is required to open a Bank Account in Ireland?
RBO (Register of Beneficial Owners Registration)
The RBO filing is essential to have completed prior to approaching many of the banks below. We include this within our Premium Packages for u003ca href=u0022https://www.irishformations.ie/company-formation-packages/the-premium-packu0022u003eIrish Resident Directorsu003c/au003e, and Premium Package for u003ca href=u0022https://www.irishformations.ie/non-resident-company-formation-packages/the-non-resident-packageu0022u003eNon-Resident Directors. u003c/au003ernrnThe RBO filing is key to the success of your bank application. Talk to us about how to position yourself for the best options for banking in Ireland.
Full online or offline bank application form.
More traditional banks like Bank of Ireland or AIB Bank will require a traditional application in the form of physical paper or a PDF application. If we a re Nominee Secretary we can assist with the application. We are partners with Revolut and Fire.com and have authorised them with our information if we are the Secretary of your company.
Photo ID and Proof of address are required for all banks. Online banks can have a very efficient process to accept these. Photo ID should be in the form of a Passport, and Address ID can be a Bank document, or a Utility bill.
The bank will check your incorporation online to ensure that the information not only matches your application, but they will also check the standard of the Incorporation. When you choose Irish Formations we will ensure that your data for the incorporation is correct. You get a chance to review it and amend it if required before we submit the data to the Companies Registrations office. Your Constitution of your company is a key document for compliance and we have a Corporate lawyer to ensure high standards of this key information.
What banks can I consider for Bank account opening?
Traditional Bricks u0026 Mortar Bank?
Banks with Savings Facilities?
Online banks with low charges?
Can I bank outside Ireland?
Yes. There is no reason why you need to bank within Ireland unless you need to or have been advised to. You should link your current bank account for the company to your Limited company however. In this article we will go through all your options including banking within and outside Ireland.
Which Banks provide the best business bank account for startups in Ireland?
You have lots of choice including the following bricks and Mortar traditional banks and online banks based in Ireland.
AIB Provide all the services of a traditional bank including:rnu003culu003ern tu003cliu003eCorporate Accounts.u003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMulti Currency Accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eCredit Servicesu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMerchant Servicesu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eBusiness Supports for Start Upsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eTwo years no fees for Startupsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMortgagesu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
How do you open a business bank account with AIB?
Step One: you will need to attend a meeting at a branch to open a bank account with AIB. One Director and other Authorised persons will need to be present at the initial meeting.
Step Two: Make the application on the AIB forms and ensure that the Directors and the company Secretary sign the documents. Authorised persons with access to teh account will also need to sign and are separate to the Directors if needed.
Step Three: Submit the application ensuring it is fully complete with your Certificate of Incorporation and Constitution and wait for further instructions.
With AIB, you will need to complete a full application form, and they can provide this remotely. If you are a Foreign Director you may have further paperwork to complete to satisfy the Bank administration.
Bank Of Ireland
Services Bank of Ireland include:rnu003culu003ern tu003cliu003eCorporate Accounts.u003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMulti Currency Accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eCredit Servicesu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMerchant Servicesu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eBusiness Supports for Start Upsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eTwo years no fees for Startupsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMortgagesu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
About Bank of Ireland
How do you open a business bank account with Bank of Ireland?
Step One: Go to the Bank Of Ireland website and apply online if you are a limited company or a Sole Trader. Foreign non resident companies may need to travel to Ireland for a meeting with AIB.
Step Two: Go to the Bank of Ireland website. There is an online process for Limited Companies and Sole Traders and they use docusign, an online document signature facility in many cases for signature which is very efficient.
Step Three: Follow the instructions online to finalise the opening of the business bank account. If you are a foreign company, we may request that you visit Ireland.
Bank of Ireland is also one of Irelands main commercial banks with Retail locations throughout Ireland.
Permanent TSB (PTSB)
Services PTSB provide are as follows:rnu003culu003ern tu003cliu003eBusiness Current Accountu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eBusiness Term Loansu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eAsset Financeu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eInvoice Financeu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMortgagesu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMerchant Solutionsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eOverdraftsu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
How do you open a business bank account with PTSB?
Step One: You will need to make an appointment with a member of the business team and file the appropriate applications. Choose a Branch on the PTSB website close to your Business address.
Step Two: Bring Photo ID in the form of a Passport and proof of address in the form of a Utility Bill. Bring your application and your certificate of Incorporation and Constitution.
Step Three: Please wait for further instructions from the bank regarding any additional information required from you or any other company officers for the bank account opening.
u003culu003ern tu003cliu003eAccept and Receive Paymentsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003ePayment Gatewaysu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003ePayment Linksu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMulti Currency Accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eCardsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eTreasuryu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eIntegrationsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eAPI’su003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003e
How do you apply to Revolut?
Irish Formations, as Channel Partners, follow a unique referral procedure issued by Revolut. We will automatically send you an email once your company is incorporated, enabling you to open a bank account with Revolut.
Apply through the link provided and process the application following the instructions issued by Revolut.
Watch your application online and its progress. Follow any other instructions issued to you.
You can complete this application entirely online using the Revolut app for Android or iOS or by following the link we provide once your company is incorporated. The Revolut application process operates seamlessly, and they actively provide you with necessary information throughout the process
Fire Financial Services
u003culu003ern tu003cliu003eBusiness Accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eCorporate Accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eEnterprise Solutionsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eEuro and UK accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003ePayment Servicesu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eDebit Cardsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eOnline Applicationsu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003ernu0026nbsp;rnrnu0026nbsp;
How do you apply to Fire?
Step One: We are a referrer through their channel partner program and can email you an application link which relates to our process. This creates efficiencies in the process and Fire know our business and the quality of the Constitution of the company.
Step Two: Process your application online following carefully the instructions by Fire.com They will require your application in full and also supporting documents like the Constitution, Cert of Incorproation both which we issue to you.
Step Three: Wait for the further instructions or contact from Fire.com The support from the Fire team is known to be excellent.
u003culu003ern tu003cliu003eMulti Currency Accountsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eBank Integrationsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eAPI Integrationsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eDebit Cardsu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eLarge Amount Transfersu003c/liu003ern tu003cliu003eMass Paymentsu003c/liu003ernu003c/ulu003ernu0026nbsp;
How do you apply to Wise?
Step One: Go to the website and start the process. Wise offers an online process that has received compliments for its ease of use. All the information you provide to Wise and the banks must be verified against the data supported by our Incorporation
Step Two: Wait for wise to return to you by email or online verifying your information.
Step Three: Once your account is set up you have the option to opt in to other services at an extra charge.
Need to talk to us?
What Do I Need To Do Before Opening My Business Bank Account?
- Before you set up your business bank account you will of course firstly need to complete your company registration in Ireland. There will be a number of documents the bank will require which you can only obtain from a company formation. This is our area of expertise and we can conveniently get you started on your incorporation journey today. Here at Irish Formations we aim to make the process as simple and straightforward as possible. Our team are experts in the area of company set up and we can ensure accuracy, quality and efficiency to all our clients. See below for a step by step guide of how we set up your company and everything you need to get to the point of incorporation.
Company Formation Checklist:
- Have at least 1 Director – It’s necessary to have at least one director who is a resident of an EEA/EU country. Non-EEA/EU resident directors may need a non-EEA resident bond or an EEA resident director. All directors must obtain a Personal Public Service (PPS) Number
- Choose a company secretary – A company secretary is vital for ensuring statutory deadlines are met. They collaborate with the accountant to ensure timely financial statement filing. We offer the role of Nominee Secretary to assist with this.
- Have at least one shareholder – Shareholders represent company ownership. Directors and shareholders can be the same individuals, but they don’t have to be.
- Choose a company name – Choose a unique company name that adheres to CRO guidelines.
- Have two addresses: business address and trading address – Maintain separate registered and trading addresses. The registered address is legally required and publicly available. We offer a registered address service here at Irish Formations.
- Prepare and sign the incorporation documents – Once prerequisites are met, you are ready to incorporate your company. We will help you through the process of filling out all forms necessary and submit them to the CRO for you.
- Post incorporation you will also need to register your beneficial owners with the RBO (register of beneficial owners). A beneficial owner is anyone who has more than 25% of shares in the company. This is a mandatory step when opening your business bank account.
1. Have a chat with Our Managing Director to discuss your options
The first step will be a call with our managing director for every new client. He will talk you through all your options and the necessary specific requirements for you and your company. Prices and requirements vary depending on a number of factors such as company type or residency.
2. Placing your order
- After your discussion and having decided on how to proceed you will make an account with us and place your order for your company. The following information will be required:
- Company Type
- Company Name (First Choice)
- Company Name (Second Choice)
- Would you like to add our registered office address service? (decided on phone consultation)
- Nature of Business
- Director 1 Details (Name, Address, DOB, Occupation, Nationality)
- Company Secretary Details
- Shareholder information
- Any other information you want to give us which may be relevant.
3. Checking of documents and confirmation of information given
- Our team will then check all your information and correspond with the CRO to have your company name approved. We will liaise back and forth with them until everything is 100% accurate. This generally takes around 5 – 6 working days but can vary depending on CRO processing times. During this time you will also be emailed by a member of our team to provide us with a trading address and to confirm your PPS number.
4. Confirmation of PPS number/ VIF Application
- Once all information is checked and approved by the CRO we then generate the official documents for submission. At this point we also ask for confirmation of your PPS number. This is a new incentive brought in by the CRO and has become a legal obligation for all company directors. If you do not have a PPS number then you will need to obtain a VIN (Verified Identity Number). We include this service as part of your company formation package and can handle all paperwork and filings for you. It is important to note that you can not form a company without obtaining this number. We then cross check everything and once everything seems in order we will then upload your final submission and await your incorporation.
5. Submission to CORE to await your official incorporation
- After all documentation is processed, the CRO will then issue your certificate of incorporation. Our team will then draw up your official company documents which will then be added to your account for digital viewing. The physical documents will also be posted out to you.